A Druid specializing in Balance uses Moonkin Form to maintain balance in utilizing Nature and Arcane magic. The use of solar and lunar energy makes a Balance Druid a powerful enemy from afar.
Let’s take a closer look at the weakest and the strongest aspects of this specialization:
- Very potent damage dealing to an area;
- Nice multi-DoT;
- The presence of Innervate.
Basic information on the spec:
A Balance Druid, like any other Druid, has the capacity to adopt various forms, although their main one is Moonkin Form. Many abilities are tied to the image the Druid is in. As a Moonkin, you get once key resource – Astral Power which you spend on all your key DPS abilities; and one secondary resource – Mana which you use to power various auxiliary spells. With no form on, or in their Travel Form, a Druid has Mana, and for the main resource, as a Bear there’s Rage, as a Cat, there’s Energy, and with Feral Affinity on, you also get Combo Points.
Back to top
(Area of Effect) is basically the area where this of that effect is actuated regardless of whether its damage or healing. This command is usually used to act in a team/raid on several targets. It is also used to describe any ability of a Boss with the aforementioned effect.
Buff stands for any positive effect. Always reflected to the left of the mini-map, by its upper edge.
Burst is an ability to do – in multiple ways – massive damage within a short period of time.
Gear is what it is.
GCD (Global Cooldown) is the overall ability recovery time.
Debuff stands for negative effect. By default, it’ reflected to the left of the mini-map by its lower edge.
DoT stands for Damage over Time.
DPS (Damage per Second) is a measure that reflects the damage done within one second.
Cleave is an ability to damage secondary targets through damaging the main one with no (or minor) loss in the damage done to the main target.
Cooldown (often CD) primarily refers to the ability recovery time. Can be often applied to bursts and various protective abilities.
Melee and Range. Melee is the close-range combat zone, also used in the titles of all the classes and specs that do effective damage in this zone. Range usually refers to a zone that is not a close-range one and is used, respectfully, in the titles of all classes and specs that do effective damage remotely.
Trait is a name for the ‘talents’ your azerite armor has.
Back to top
Solar Wrath deals Nature damage and generates 8 Astral Power.
Lunar Strike deals Arcane damage to the selected target, and a smaller portion of damage to all the targets within the 5-m range of the main one. Generates 12 Astral Power.
Sunfire instantly burns the selected target and all the enemies within the 5-m range of it leaving an 18-sec long DoT on them. Deals Nature damage, generates 3 Astral Power per use.
Moonfire instantly deals Arcane damage to the selected target and leaves behind a 22-sec DoT. It can also be used while in the form of a Bear. Generates 3 Astral Power.
Starsurge consumes 40 Astral Power and deals instant massive Astral (Nature + Arcane) damage. After that, you are granted 2 effects: Lunar Empowerment and Solar Empowerment. Each of them – respective with the type – empowers your next Lunar Strike and Solar Wrath by 20%. The effects stay for no longer than 45 secs, and stack up, up to 3 times.
Starfall consumes 50 Astral Power and allows you to select an area with a 10-m radius in which you deliver Astral damage for 8 secs.
It also applies the effect Stellar Empowerment to all the targets. The effect, in its turn, increases all the received periodical damage by your Moonfire and Sunfire by 20%.
Barkskin reduces the incoming damage by 20%. It also prevents casting postponing due to received damage for the following 12 secs. Can be utilized in any form during stunning, paralysis, fear and sleep effects. CD 1 min.
Regrowth is cast once every 1.5 secs, instantly restores a small amount of HP, and a bit more over the following 12 secs.
Rebirth is a combat resurrection spell, with a mechanics quite similar to all the spells of the kind from other classes Outside a raid combat, CD 10 min. In a raid, the restoring speed depends on the number of players in the raid (90/x=CD per res; x – number of people in the raid).
Entangling Roots immobilizes the victim for 30 secs. Any damage dealt to this target cancels the effect.
Prowl allows you to turn into a Cat and enter the state of Stealth. Can only be cast out of combat. CD 6 secs.
Cat Form is a form in which you move 30% faster, and you are resistant to any transformation effects and receive less damage upon falling. Form change cancels any movement-impairing effects.
Moonkin Form increases your Arcane and Nature damage by 10%, and your Armor rating grows by 125%. When receiving single-target attack inflicted damage, you have a 15% chance of casting Lunar Strike instantly. In this form, you are immune to any transformation effects Form change cancels any movement-impairing effects.
Bear Form increases your Armor by 220% and your Stamina – by 25%. You are immune to any transformation effects and generate an elevated danger rate. Form change cancels any movement-impairing effects.
Revive is an out-of-combat resurrection.
Innervate allows you to reduce the selected healer’s Mana spending by 100% for 12 secs (works only on characters specialized as healers). CD 3 min.
Dash activates your Cat Form and increases your Haste by 60% for 10 secs. CD is 2 min
Travel Form makes you take up one of your forms depending on the surrounding circumstances: for airborne, on-land or aquatic relocations. All Forms make you immune to transformation effects; form change cancels any movement-impairing effects. Out of combat, your forms have increased moving speed. These effects, however, do not work on the arena or on battlefields.
Growl only works while you’re in your Bear Form. Provokes your target to attack you for 3 secs.
Remove Corruption cancels a cursing effect on the selected ally.
Solar Beam allows you to hit an enemy with a beam of sunlight which interrupts their ongoing casting of a spell and causes numbness with all the enemies within its action range. Active for 8 secs. 1 min CD.
Teleport: Moonglade allows you to teleport to Moonglade. When cast in Moonglade, returns you to your initial location – to the nearest cemetery, to be precise.
Back to top
General information. On achieving several new levels you’ll get access to new talent ‘Tiers’. Talents may have different effect on abilities: add new features, replace old ones, modify passively different effects and spells. Talents can be changed in Sanctuaries or any recreational zones. However, if you don’t have any of those places nearby you can use the Codex of the Tranquil Mind which allows you to switch channels within a minute. You can’t change talents in combat. You can’t change a talent if the talent you’ve picked in the last Tier is on Cooldown. You’ll have to wait until it’s restored first.
Tier 1. Lvl 15
- Natures balance. While in combat you generate 2 Astral power every 3 sec. While out of combat your astral power rebalances to 50 instead of depleting to empty. The best raiding talent for constant astral power gain.
- Warrior of Elune.Your next 3 Lunar Strikes are instant cast and generate 40% additional Astral Power.. CD 45 secs, starts only once you’ve spent all 3 charges.
- Force of Nature. Summons 3 treants that provoke the enemies within the selected area and attack hem for 10 secs. Generates 20 Astral power. CD 1 min. The best talent for m+ for helping your tank on difficult packs and for generating astral power and additional damage.
Tier 2. Lvl 30
- Tiger dash. Replaces Dash. Activates Cat Form and increases movement speed by 200%, reducing gradually over 5 sec.
- Renewal. Instantly restores 30% fof your max HP stock. Can be cast from any form. CD 1.5 min.
- Wild Charge. Depending on the form, triggers one of the abilities with a 15-sec CD:
In your regular form, it flies you to an ally’s position.
Moonkin Form – a leap backwards.
Bear Form – a surge towards your enemy that immobilizes them for 4 secs.
Cat Form – a leap behind your enemy’s back dazing them for 3 secs
Travel Form – a leap 20 m forward.
In your Aquatic Form, your swimming speed grows by 150% for 5 secs.
* The choice is up to you, but usually it’s either Wild Charge or Tiger dash
Tier 3. Lvl 45
- Feral Affinity. Passively grants you a 15% running speed boost. Increases your Energy restoring speed, grants access to Combo Points and the following abilities in this form:
Shred is only available in the Cat Form, demands 40 Energy; deals physical damage to a target. If the latter tagged with your bleedings, the spell deals 20% more damage. When cast from Stealth, deals 50% more damage, and doubles Crit. Generates 1 CP.
Rake costs 35 Energy, deals physical damage and leaves a 15-sec long DoT. It also slows your target down by 50% for 12 secs. When cast from Stealth, the spell deals 100% more damage and stuns the target for 4 secs. Generates 1 CP.
Rip – only from Cat Form – for 30 Energy, spends 1 to 5 CP and applies a bleeding effect on the target for 24 secs. The more CP spent, the heavier the damage.
Ferocious Bite – only in Cat Form – initially costs 25 Energy and spends 1 to 5 CP; deals physical damage (the more CP spent, the heavier the damage). Spending additional 25 Energy, increases the damage by no more than 100%. If the target is left with under 25% Health, Ferocious Bite renews Rip instantly.
Swipe, for 40 Energy, deals physical damage to all the enemies within the range of 8 m. The targets tagged with your bleeding effects receive 20%more damage. Generates 1 CP.
- Guardian Affinity. Passively reduces the incoming damage by 6%. It also grants you several abilities:
Mangle deals physical damage to the target, generates 5 Rage. CD 6 secs.
Ironfur costs 45 Rage, increases your Armor for 7 secs.
Frenzied Regeneration costs 10 Rage, CD 36 secs. Within 3 secs, Restores 24% of maximum health for 3 sec
- Restoration Affinity. Passively grants you Ysera’s Gift which restores 3% of your max HP count once every 5 secs. If your Health is at 100%, the spell restores the same portion of HP to the nearest injured ally.
Rejuvenation instantly applies an HoT on the selected ally healing them for 15 secs.
Regrowth – a long cast that restores average amount of hp to a friendly target instantly and puts a HoT for 12 sec.
Swiftmend instantly restores a major portion of HP to an ally. CD 25 secs.
* Restoration affinity – the best choice for raids and mythic+. Allows you to heal yourself and an ally.
Tier 4. Lvl 60
- Mighty Bash. Can be cast from any form; stuns your enemy for 5 secs. CD 50 secs.
- Mass Entanglement. Allows you to immobilize the selected target and all the enemies within the 15-m range of it for 30 secs. Any damage dealt to the entangled enemies cancels the effect.
- Typhoon. In any form, throws back all the enemies within the 15-m range in front of you and dazes them for 6 secs.
* The Tier offers you control options which means the decision is completely up to you.
Mighty Bash and Typhoon are used the most. Mass entanglement is situational, take it if you need it for the encounter.
Tier 5. Lvl 75
Tier 6. Lvl 90
- Stellar Drift. The area of Starfall grows by 20%, and the dealt damage – by 25%. As long as you’re within your Starfall‘s active range, you can cast spells while moving. After its nerf, it is not used anywhere.
- Twin Moons. Moonfire deals 10% increased damage and also hits another nearby enemy within 15 yds of the target. A great talent in mythic+ or if there is a constant cleave on 2 targets.
- Stellar Flare. Burns the target with astral damage for 1.5 seconds and then an additional damage for 24 sec. Generates 8 astral power. The best single target talent.
Tier 7. Lvl 100
- Shooting Stars. Whenever your Moonfire or Sunfire deal periodical damage, there is a 10% chance that they summon a Shooting Star dealing minor Astral damage and generating 4 Astral Power. The best choice for cleave and single target.
- Fury of Elune. Calls down a beam that follows the enemy dealing astral damage over 8 sec. Generates 40 Astral power over its duration. The best choice for m+ and AOE.
- New moon. Deal arcane damage to the target that empowers New moon to become Half moon. Has 3 charges. Generates 10 Astral power. It is basically legion artefact analogue that is not used anywhere.
So, we can boil it all down to the following builds:
- Natures balance
- Wild charge
- Restoration affinity
- Starlord / Incarnation: Chosen of Elune
- Stellar Flare
- Shooting Stars
- Force of nature
- Wild charge
- Restoration affinity
- Twin moons
- Shooting Stars.
Back to top
In BFA typical sets were removed and Azerite armor took their place. Now every chest/helmet/shoulders have a few rings for traits.
- Arcanic pulsar Starsurge’s damage is increased. Every 9 Starsurges, gain Celestial alignment for 6 sec. It is a great trait but you need only 1 of it.
- Streaking stars. While “Celestial alignment” is active, your damaging spells call a Streaking star dealing an additional damage when they are not a repeat of the previous ability. The best trait, take it 3 . It changes your rotation a little bit, making you using the same ability twice during the burst. But it is worth it because your dps will significantly increase.
- New raid trait 123 is strong too. You can have 1-2 of it.
* It is the list of the best traits only so we recommend to use raidbots.com to see other good traits/combinations.
We recommend to use Herodamage and AzeritePowerWeight addon. Import the addon command from the site and you can easily compare your azerite in the game.
( AzeritePowerWeights:2:"herodamage.com - Stacks_1T_T24":11:102: 575=10, 200=9.97, 562=8.63, 504=6.42, 122=6.40, 82=6.33, 488=6.27, 494=6.27, 522=6.23, 479=6.20, 483=6.19, 526=6.17, 193=6.10, 157=6.03, 250=5.87, 364=5.73, 195=5.70, 478=5.58, 505=5.53, 489=5.51, 495=5.51, 485=5.49, 194=5.46, 196=5.45, 501=5.38, 482=5.35, 561=5.22, 523=5.01, 481=4.96, 192=4.62, 498=3.97, 492=3.83, 486=3.83, 30=3.70, 576=3.69, 521=3.67, 480=3.60, 156=3.27, 500=3.06, 173=3.05, 487=2.93, 493=2.93, 31=2.86, 356=2.77, 22=2.75, 499=2.38, 21=2.20, 497=2.20, 491=2.20, 459=2.11, 541=2.04, 560=2.02, 18=1.94, 461=1.93, 462=1.81, 38=1.75, 20=1.72, 496=1.55, 490=1.55, 357=-0.02: )
Back to top
EssencesThese ratings are based on simulations, statistics of WarcraftLogs and players experience.
- Vision of Perfection (Source: “Operation: Mechagon” drop) – good choice if you want to increase the quantity of your burst. Especially good at AoE encounters
- Condensed Life-force (Source: Eternal Palace drop) – great option to increase you burst potential on single target
- Essence of the Focusing Iris (Source: Mythic+ dungeons) – strong option for aoe encounters
- Maintain Sunfire on the target (with pandemic, do not renew it before it’s 5.4 secs till effect termination).
- Maintain Moonfire on the target (with pandemic, do not renew it before it’s 6.6 secs till effect termination).
- Keep up Stellar Flare on the target
- Starsurge to avoid accumulating 100 Astral Power.
- Solar Wrath and Lunar Strike to avoid accumulating 3 charges of Solar and Lunar Empowerments.
- Solar Wrath over the remaining time.
During Celestial Alignment or Incarnation: Chosen of Elune:
- Maintain Moonfire and Sunfire.
- Starsurge, if you have 90+ Astral Power in stock.
- Utilize all charges of New Moon / Half Moon / Full Moon so that you don’t go over 100 Astral Power.
- Solar Wrath, if you have 3 Solar Empowerments at your disposal.
- Lunar Strike, if you have 3 Lunar Empowerments at your disposal.
- Spend the remaining charges of Solar and Lunar Empowerment.
- Solar Wrath.
- Moonfire and Sunfire on all the targets.
- Starfall, if it’s sure to hit 5 targets. Otherwise, use Starsurge.
- Lunar Strike pumped by Lunar Empowerment, if it’s sure to hit at least 3 targets; otherwise, use the empowered Sunfire. If there are 4 targets, Lunar Strike is used regardless of whether empowered or not.
Use your burst as often as possible. Try intersecting it with various combat enhancers, Heroism / Bloodlust and your trinket procs.
When moving, do not forget to renew your DoTs and utilize your Starsurge and Starfall, so that you don’t lose time.
Back to top
The basic priority rating for the characteristics is as follows:
Haste > Crit = Versatility> Mastery > Intellect
The current specialization’s Mastery increases damage dealt by Starfall and Starsurge; it also enhances the effect of Lunar and Solar Empowerments.
Haste reduces the cast for spells and GCD.
All characteristics are pretty close to each other in terms of their value. That’s why is recommended, once you receive new equipment, you use Simcraft or Raidbots.com. There is no way to get a more precise answer to which stat to focus on first, but through a simulation.
Based on the aforementioned characteristics and results of your character’s own simulation results, you can draw conclusions on Gems, Chants and Raid Chemicals.
Flasks and Potions:
Back to top
Rebirth at cursor’s position:
/cast [target=mouseover] Rebirth
A similar macro for Innervate:
/cast [target=mouseover] Innervate
A macro for your Solar Beam
/cast Solar Beam
Back to top
- Leveling. If your character has been inactive since the previous expansions, the best option to level up it is by Timewalking dungeons. You will gain a lot of experience, but there is one big disadvantage of leveling this way. Timewalks are available only for one week during a month, but Overgear is always here.
- Equipment. At high level, the most important thing for you will become your gear. WoW is a multiplayer game, that’s why we recommend for you to play it with your friends, or to find a new friends for mythic+ runs. If you have any trouble with it – Overgear may help you to find not just friends for a run, but a complete well geared and experienced group that also will be glad to trade all the loot you need.
- Raids. Raids are the top-tier PvE content in the game. That’s why the equipment’s base ilvl is higher than anywhere else. These dungeons require knowing all the tactics and have a good gear to kill the bosses. The possibilities of Overgear might let you skip those criteria.
Azerite. It is also not the best idea to forget about the Heart of Azeroth and not to feed it with more Azerite. Ignoring this won’t make your character stronger. The easiest way to do it – just complete all the world quests with Azerite rewards everyday. You can get extra azerite from Island Expeditions. Companions can be found at Overgear.