A Demonology Warlock has the ability to get what they want with somebody else’s hands, in particular, with the hands of the summoned Demons… lots of Demons. The Warlock occupies himself with getting together the power to perform the summoning of those demons and to empower them.
Basic information on the spec:
A Demonology Warlock utilities 2 key resources – Soul Shards and Mana. There are always 3 Soul Shards when out of combat. You can have the max of 5 of them. They are spent on strong spells and on summoning pet demons. Mana is used as a resource on any spell.
Let’s take a closer look at the weakest and the strongest aspects of this specialization:
- Strong constant damage on a single target.
- Good bursting and stable АоЕ
- Mediocre switch.
- Extreme inefficiency on constant cleave.
- DPS depends on movements during combat
Back to top
AoE (Area of Effect) is basically the area where this of that effect is actuated regardless of whether its damage or healing. This command is usually used to act in a team/raid on several targets. It is also used to describe any ability of a Boss with the aforementioned effect.
Buff stands for any positive effect. Always reflected to the left of the mini-map, by its upper edge.
Burst is an ability to do – in multiple ways – massive damage within a short period of time.=
GCD (Global Cooldown) is the overall ability recovery time.
Debuff stands for negative effect. By default, it’ reflected to the left of the mini-map by its lower edge.
DoT stands for Damage over Time.
DPS (Damage per Second) is a measure that reflects the damage done within one second.
Cleave is an ability to damage secondary targets through damaging the main one with no (or minor) loss in the damage done to the main target.
Cooldown (often CD) primarily refers to the ability recovery time. Can be often applied to bursts and various protective abilities.
Melee and Range. Melee is the close-range combat zone, also used in the titles of all the classes and specs that do effective damage in this zone. Range usually refers to a zone that is not a close-range one and is used, respectfully, in the titles of all classes and specs that do effective damage remotely.
Trait is a name for the ‘talents’ your azerite armor.
Back to top
Shadow Bolt is a spell dealing minor dark magic damage and generating 1 Soul Shard.
Call Dreadstalkers, for 2 Soul Shards, summons two Dreadstalkers which attack your target for the next 12 secs. CD 20 secs.
Demonbolt – a strong spell with a long duration. Creates 2 Soul shards Can be cast instantly if Demonic core is up.
Hand of Gul’dan demands 1 to 3 Soul Shards. After the casting is over, the target gets hit with a meteorite that deals Shadowfire damage to the target and all the enemies within the 8-m range, depending on the number of Soul Shards in 1:1 proportion.
Implosion. A force sucks all your imps to the target and them causes them to explode dealing shadowflame damage to all enemies within 8 yards.
Drain Life is a channel spell dealing minor dark magic damage off each teak. 500% of the damage you deal will return to you as Health.
Summon Demon allows you, for 1 Soul Shard, summon one of the demons you can control:
- Summon Felhunter can interrupt castings of spells and block the magic school for 6 secs once every 24 secs. It can also alleviate positive magic effects off your enemies once every 15 secs.
- Summon Succubus allows you to paralyze your enemies for 30 secs. It can throw your enemies away within a 5-m range. It can also become invisible out of combat, and attack your enemy suddenly.
- Summon Imp can lift the negative magic effects off your allies one every 15 secs. It can instantly turn up near their master bypassing any barriers.
- Summon Voidwalker can provoke your targets to attack it, maintain the received aggro, decrease the incoming damage and heal itself a bit through stealing Health from the enemies around.
- Summon Felguard, is a unique strong melee demon for this specialization. Has a good ability Felstorm. But remember that while using it the demon cannot cast anything else. Command demon you can make him stun the target for 4 sec every 30 sec and use charge every 15 sec.
Even with no demon, you do have the Command Demon ability that transforms depending on which demon you summon. This ability is one of the demons’ specials:
– Summon Felhunter, interrupt and purge;
– Summon Succubus, throwing away;
– Summon Imp, dispel
– Summon Voidwalker, taunt,
– Summon Felguard, Felstorm,
You get the Summon Felguard by default.
Summon demonic tyrant – you summon a demonic tyrant that increases the duration of al your summoned demons by 15 sec and increases their damage by 15% while damaging your target. 1.5 minute cd.
Demonic core -You have 10% chance to trigger it after your wild imp dies and 100% chance after your Call dreadstalkers fade away. You can cast Demonbolt instantly. Maximum 4 stacks.
Unending resolve – hardens your skin, reducing all damage taken by 40% and granting immunity to interrupt and silence effects for 8 sec. Has 3 min cd.
Soul leech – all single target damage done by you grants you a shield that absorbs 8% damage with 15 sec duration. The maximum number is 10% of maximum health.
Soul link – 20% of all damage you take is taken by your demon pet instead. Soul leech, also heals you for 25% and your pet for 50% of the absorption it grants.
Unending Breath allows a friendly target of yours to breath underwater for 10 secs and swi, 20% faster.
Demonic Gateway, You create 2 portals linking 2 spots within 40 m of each other. The first Gate is created where your character is located, the second ones – wherever you choose. Once you or tour allies utilize one of these gates, they get moved straight to the door2. You can only use them once every 1.5 min. This CD time can be traced by the debuff applied after using the Gateway. Remember that when you fly over different dangerous areas, you’re exposed to their effects.
Banish helps you deactivate for 30 secs a Demon, an Aberration or an Elemental. A Banished target cannot take any actions, but it also gets immune to all kinds of damage and various control effects. If cast upon the Banished target again, the spell cancels the effect. You can only Banish one enemy at a time.
Soulstone is a slightly modified combat resurrection with a mechanics similar to that of all the spells of the kind available to other classes. Outside a raid combat, CD 10 min. In a raid, the restoring speed depends on the number of players in the raid (90/x=CD per res; x – number of people in the raid). The modification is that you can apply this effect on one of your allies in advance. The effect remains for 15 min.
Shadowfury – A casting spell that stuns all enemies within 8 yards. 1 min cd.
Health Funnel is a channel spell that can transport up to 24% of your max Health to your summoned Demon. The Demon, in their turn, would restore twice the Health.
Eye of Kilrogg allows you to summon the Eye under your control for 45 secs. It’s third-person control, and you can explore the environment. The Eye is very fragile, but it does help you detect invisible targets.
Enslave Demon. You can gain control of an enemy Demon up to Lvl 121 for 5 min thus replacing your constant pet Demon. You can only control 1 enemy at once.
Ritual of Summoning is Warlock’s unique ability to create a Summoning Stone wherever you want. To install it, however, you would need 2 more souls… two players =) After you’ve installed it, you can summon your allies the same way you’d do it with a regular Summoning Stone near dungeons and raids.
Create Healthstone. You can create a Healthstone. Its use would recover 25% of your max Health. One stone has 3 charges
Create Soulwell enables you to install a stone well that can be used by your allies to retrieve a Healthstone.
Fear is a regular control spell making your target run away in panic for 20 secs. Damage dealt to the target can cancel this effect. Only one enemy can be subject to the spell at a time.
Back to top
General information. On achieving several new levels you’ll get access to new talent ‘Tiers’. Talents may have different effect on abilities: add new features, replace old ones, modify passively different effects and spells. Talents can be changed in Sanctuaries or any recreational zones. However, if you don’t have any of those places nearby you can use the Codex of the Tranquil Mind which allows you to switch channels within a minute. You can’t change talents in combat. You can’t change a talent if the talent you’ve picked in the last Tier is on Cooldown. You’ll have to wait until it’s restored first.
Tier 1. Lvl 15.
- Dreadlash. Allows to cleave with Call dreadstalkers and increases damage by 25%.
- Demonic strength . A very strong minute cooldown that makes your Felguard to use additional Fel armor that is 4 times better than the usual one. He also will charge to the target before dealing damage.
- Bilescourge bombers. Deal great damage in the located target for 2 Soul shards.
* Your choice is between Demonic strength and Bilescourge bombers. Both options are strong for AOE but the difference is that one of them is bounded to a specific area so it depends on how often you need to AOE and where. Demonic strength is better for a single target. Bilescourge bombers is rarely useful in raids but can be used in mythic+.
Tier 2. Lvl 30.
- Demonic calling. Has a 20% chance to make your next Call dreadstalkers instant and cost 1 less Soul shard less.
- Power siphon. Instantly sacrifices 2 Wild imps to generate 2 charges of Demonic core .
- Doom. 30 second DOT , the duration reduces with the haste amount. In the end of its duration generates 1 Soul shard. If Doom kills the target, there is a 5% to summon a Doomguard for 25 sec to fight for you.
* Demonic calling is the best option for any situation. Doom can potentially increase DPS if it is played perfectly but it is not convenient to use
Tier 3. Lvl 45.
- Demon skin. Your soul leech absorption is now passively recharges every second and may now absorb up to 15% of maximum health.
- Burning rush. Increases your movement speed by 50%, but also damages you for 4$ of your maximum health every 1 sec. Movement impairing effects cannot reduce you below 100% of normal movement speed. Lasts until cancelled.
- Dark pact. You sacrifice 20% of your current health to shield you for 250% of the sacrificed health for 20 sec. Usable while suffering from control impairing effects.
* You should choose by yourself here. If you need more mobility take Burning rush. If you are going te be damaged a lot then take Demon skin. If you need to survive a bursting damage then Dark pact.
Tier 4. Lvl 60.
- From the shadows. Call dreadstalkers causes the target to take additional Shadowflame damage from you for next 12 seconds.
- Soul strike. An additional attack of your Felguard with 10 sec cd. Generates 1 soul shard.
- Summon vilefiend. Summon a vile fiend for 1 Soul shard for 15 seconds that will attack your target.
* It is considered that Summon vilefiend is the best talent for single target and Soul strike is for AOE. You can choose any talent for a single target but Soul strike is only for AOE.
Tier 5. Lvl 75.
- Darkfury. Reduces the cooldown of Shadowfury for 15 sec.
- Mortal coil. Horrifies an enemy within 20 yards range into fleeing for 3 seconds and heals you for 20% of your maximum health. 45 sec cooldown
- Demonic circle. You create a portal for 15 minutes. You also learn Demonic circle teleport that can teleport you to your demonic circle and remove all slowing movement effects.
* The choice depends on the situation. If you need to stun often then take – Darkfury. If you need additional mobility or teleportation take – Demonic circle. Mortal coil– is for additional control or self healing during combat.
Tier 6. Lvl 90.
- Soul conduit. Every spent Soul shard has a 20% chance to be refunded.
- Inner demons. You passively summon a Wild Imp to fight for you every 12 sec, and have a 10% chance to summon an additional demon to fight for you for 15 sec.
- Grimoire: Felguard. Summon a Felguard for 15 sec who attacks the target and deals 25% increased damage.Felguard stuns the target when summoned and uses Felstorm.
* Grimoire: Felguard is a bursting talent for AOE and single target. Soul conduit is amazing option in the current build to use with Implosion for any type of fight. Inner demons is not used.
Tier 7. Lvl 100.
* Demonic consumption is №1 choice for any situation with Implosion. Other 2 talents could be used if you do not have 3 traits of Explosive potential. In this case Sacrificed souls would be a good option for mythic+ and open world when Nether portal. becomes your raid talent.
So, we can boil it all down to this build:
- Demonic strength / Bilescourge bombers
- Demonic calling / Doom
- Soul strike
- Soul conduit / Grimoire: Felguard
- Demonic consumption
Back to top
In BFA typical sets were removed and Azerite armor took their place. Now every chest/helmet/shoulders have a few rings traits. You will need to collect the best traits.
Depends on the build, you should collect different traits.
You need to collect 3 times is Explosive potential. Such amount will maximize your damage.
Also you should have at least 1 Baleful invocation, because of strong Tyrant and increasement of soul shards during combat.
Demonology spec is very strong in mythic + so it is worth to improve Hand of Guldan with at least 1 trait – Demonic meteor.
Also there are good traits Loyal to the End and Supreme commander.
Maximum amount of Baleful invocation.
At least 1 Demonic meteor.
Also there are good traits Loyal to the End and Supreme commander.
You should use chart on herodamage.com, or check the different in stats by yourself on raidbots.com.
( AzeritePowerWeights:1:"herodamage.com - Stacks_1T_T24":9:266: 575=10, 193=9.87, 526=9.50, 522=9.39, 562=9.00, 82=8.54, 196=8.34, 501=7.55, 192=7.32, 479=6.84, 505=6.75, 504=6.65, 521=6.59, 157=6.56, 480=6.53, 478=6.44, 481=6.27, 483=6.18, 492=5.88, 486=5.88, 495=5.88, 489=5.88, 195=5.87, 30=5.82, 485=5.65, 523=5.35, 194=5.26, 482=5.24, 190=4.94, 428=4.77, 561=4.65, 130=4.54, 488=4.45, 494=4.45, 458=4.38, 576=4.37, 231=4.20, 156=4.09, 498=4.05, 493=3.68, 487=3.68, 500=3.68, 459=3.58, 21=2.97, 31=2.96, 560=2.90, 22=2.79, 18=2.50, 499=2.39, 491=2.11, 497=2.11, 541=2.07, 490=2.05, 496=2.05, 461=2.04, 462=1.74, 515=0.20 )
Back to top
These ratings are based on simulations, statistics of WarcraftLogs and players experience.
- Condensed Life-force (Source: Eternal Palace drop) – best option for reliable damage at level 3.
- Vision of Perfection (Source: “Operation: Mechagon” drop) – very powerfull option, but also has very random proc.
Demonology playstyle depends on the choice in tier 7. The most popular build currently is with Demonic consumption.
- Keep up Explosive potential if you use this build. Use Implosion in the end of buff’s duration having not less than 3 imps.
- Summon demonic tyrant use every cooldown, but only with at least 6 imps and hunters.
- Talents Demonic strength / Bilescourge bombers, Summon vilefiend and Grimoire: Felguard should be used by cd
- Soul strike by cd, but not when you have overcap of Soul shards
- Call dreadstalkers every cd
- Hand of Guldan is always used with 3+ Soul shards
- The rest time use Shadow bolt and Demonbolt every proc with soul shards
This variant is used if you do not have even 1 Explosive potential.
Demonology priorities do not change much with a different number of targets because the same abilities deal AOE damage. Demonology AOE starts with 2 targets.
- Keep up Explosive potential.
- Use Implosion more often. Better to use it right after Hand of Guldan. This way you will always have imps and will deal more AOE damage.
Back to top
The basic priority rating for the characteristics is as follows:
Haste > Mastery > Intellect > Crit > Versatility
With traits Explosive potential:
Mastery > Crit > Intellect > Haste > Versatility
This specialization’s Mastery increases the damage being dealt by the Demons you summon.
All the characteristic depend on the amount of each stat, trinkets, azerite traits so they vary. That’s why is recommended, once you receive new equipment, you use Simcraft or Raidbots.com. There is no way to get a more precise answer to which stat to focus on first, but through a simulation.
Based on the aforementioned characteristics and results of your character’s own simulation results, you can draw conclusions on Gems, Chants and Raid Chemicals.
Flasks and Potions:
Back to top
Often in Mythic+ you have to call your pet off in order not to pool more than you need (when you’re on mount, your pet pools nothing).
Soulstone at cursor’s position:
/cast [target=mouseover] Soulstone
Back to top
- Leveling. If your character has been inactive since the previous expansions, the best option to level up it is by Timewalking dungeons. You will gain a lot of experience, but there is one big disadvantage of leveling this way. Timewalks are available only for one week during a month, but Overgear is always here.
- Equipment. At high level, the most important thing for you will become your gear. WoW is a multiplayer game, that’s why we recommend for you to play it with your friends, or to find a new friends for mythic+ runs. If you have any trouble with it – Overgear may help you to find not just friends for a run, but a complete well geared and experienced group that also will be glad to trade all the loot you need.
- Raids. Raids are the top-tier PvE content in the game. That’s why the equipment’s base ilvl is higher than anywhere else. These dungeons require knowing all the tactics and have a good gear to kill the bosses. The possibilities of Overgear might let you skip those criteria.
Azerite. It is also not the best idea to forget about the Heart of Azeroth and not to feed it with more Azerite. Ignoring this won’t make your character stronger. The easiest way to do it – just complete all the world quests with Azerite rewards everyday. You can get extra azerite from Island Expeditions. Companions can be found at Overgear.