Wrath of the Lich King Classic is upon us and soon players will swarm into the Northrend to explore the continent filled up with new dangers and new opportunities as well. Learning new skills and buying new mounts will not come cheap, so it might prove useful to know in advance how to make a profit to be able to afford everything you need.
Down below in this WotLK Gold farming guide we will explore the most efficient ways of making money in Wrath of the Lich King Classic, which will be helpful both for new and returning players to venture through the fresh content with their pockets full.
Why do you need to farm gold in WotLK Classic?
Well, besides acquiring new skills from class trainers, there are many options for how you can spend gold in Wrath of the Lich King. Elixirs and food you will need for group content, new pets and toys, mounts, cosmetic or even game-changing Glyphs from new profession Inscription, and also pre-raid Bind on Equip gear, which is now craftable and can be purchased from Auction House. Overall, you got the point of how expensive the most useful items can be in Wrath of the Lich King Classic.
But don’t you worry. Down below you’ll find everything you need to know about how to become rich with a little determination and time investment. And while Lich King Classic has many specific options for players, we want to highlight the most stable and profitable gold-making ways. For example, quest farming as a pretty obvious option won’t be mentioned.
WotLK Gold Making tips
WoW WotLK Gold farming in most cases is a not-so-fun routine process, but there are some tips and advice that can help you spend your time more effectively:
- Dual Talent Specialization gives you an opportunity to switch between two builds for various situations like PvP or PvE encounters, questing, or spot farming. You can learn Dual Specialization from the class trainer for 1000 gold;
- Ring of Kirin Tor will allow you to teleport to Dalaran once in 30 minutes to the bank, auction (in Orgrimmar or Stormwind), or vendors, plus provide a decent stat boost. It’s purchasable from Jewelcrafters in Dalaran and will cost you 8,500 gold.
- Reins of the Traveler’s Tundra Mammoth will allow you to summon a three-person mount, which also comes with a vendor and a repair bot. It can be purchased in Dalaran for 20,000 gold.
- Cold Weather Flying and Epic Flying is a must-have for exploring the continent of Northrend and it will cost you around 5,000 gold to learn from a Flying trainer.
WotLK best gold farming class
If you plan to make some WotLK gold in Wrath of the Lich King, it’s advisable to know the best gold farming class WotLK that can make this routine process better. Of course, you can play any character you want, but three classes can benefit greatly in farming:
- Paladin – have good damage and protection abilities for spot farming, and also have Crusader Aura which increases movement speed (very helpful for gathering professions);
- Mage – the solid choice for spot farming because of great AoE damage;
- Druid – Flying Form saves your time from mount casting during the gathering and helps to get you to herb or mining spawns in awkward positions. Also, you can use Balance spec and its AoE damage for spot farming.
Best farming spots in WotLK Classic
Here we will mark several spots with the most valuable drops. Earning money that way will require a sufficient amount of grinding, but in the end, it might be worth it since some of the items have a juice sale price.
Those are the most common farming spots in Wrath of the Lich King Classic, so expect them to be quite populated with players, especially in the first weeks after the launch.
The best Gold Making professions in WotLK Classic
Now we’re coming to the most natural and efficient way of WotLK gold farm and it is, of course, professions. There is a handful of gathering and crafting professions in Wrath Classic, but some of them are slightly more profitable than others.
First, the crafting professions like Cooking, Alchemy, Enchanting, and Jewelcrafting can provide you with a steady income because food, potions, gems, enchants, and other consumables are necessary for PvP and PvE activities at any time. At the same time, Tailoring, Leatherworking, and Blacksmithing are options for cyclical income because players interested in professions gear more at the start of expansions. For short-term income, you can use gathering professions.
Down below we will cover several top money-making professions to help you fill your pockets with precious currency. Also, you can read our WotLK Classic Profession guides to learn all about their bonuses and benefits.
Skinning is a gathering profession in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. The process of Skinning is fairly simple – you need only a Skinning Knife, and to kill beast-type enemies to skin them and obtain leather. In WotLK Classic you need to learn a new skill from Derik Marks, Skinning trainer, located in Dalaran. From now on you will be able to level up Skinning from 350 to 450.
Keep in mind that you also can learn Skinning from faction-specific trainers. For the Horde, it would be Roberta Jacks in the Howling Fjord and Tiponi Stormwhisper in Borean Tundra. For the Alliance, there are Frederic Burrhus in Howling Fjord and Trapper Jack in Borean Tundra.
Through Skinning, you will be able to obtain Arctic Fur, which is required to purchase Leatherworking recipes and also a key for crafting components. This makes Arctic Fur extremely valuable and you can expect to make a huge profit from selling it.
There are a couple of places to farm Arctic Fur with a decent drop chance. In Borean Tundra, on the Coldarra island, there are a bunch of Arcane Serpents located around the Nexus. Also, there is one good spot just below the Amber Ledge and the other one above Riplash Stand to farm Wooly Rhino Calfs. Both of these mobs presented in big numbers with a fairly short respawn rate, so farming Arctic Fur will be no problem.
Herbalism is also a gathering profession and a perfect way to make lots of money. All you need to do is to grind herbs, since they’re required for Alchemy elixirs and potions for the late game, and also to make inks, which are required in Inscription and Engineering.
There are several trainers which will provide you with the necessary level of Herbalism skill. Dorothy Egan is located in Dalaran and will teach you regardless of your faction alignment. For the Horde, there is Marjory Kains located in Howling Fjord, and Tansy Wildmane located in Borean Tundra. For the Alliance – Fayin Whisperleaf and Kirea Moondancer in Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra respectively.
At Herbalism 350, you will be able to farm only Goldclover. With Herbalism 375, Tiger Lily will also become available. The best locations to farm both those herbs are Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills, with Tiger Lily predominantly located on riverbanks and Goldclover growing in the “green” areas on your map. There is also a handful of Goldclover located in Borean Tundra, but still significantly less than in previously mentioned locations. In Sholazar Basin you’ll be able to find lots of Adder’s Tongue and Tiger Lily as well. In the Storm Peaks grows a decent amount of Lichbloom and Icethorn.
There’s a chance to loot some Crystallized Life from Goldclover, Tiger Lily, Lichbloom, and Icethorn, which can be transformed into Eternal Life and sold for good money. The Herbalism way of farming Eternal Life is way easier than the one mentioned before.
Mining is probably the easiest and less demanding way of making money in Wrath of the Lich King Classic, since literally all the raw materials you gather are used in Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing, Engineering, and even in Leatherworking, which makes them extremely valuable in the market. Basically, all you need to do is to run (or fly) through the locations and gather all the ores you see.
But first, you have to learn a Mining skill from a trainer. There is a universal one in Dalaran called Jedidiah Handers. For the Horde, there is Jonathan Lewis in Howling Fjord and Brunna Ironaxe in Borean Tundra. For the Alliance, there is Grumbol Stoutpick and Fendrick Redbeard in Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra respectively.
There are plenty of ore deposits in Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord, Sholazar Basin, and Storm Peaks, so you can start farming right from the get-go, and with flying mount it would become even easier and a lot faster.
Of course, crafting professions can also prove useful in making cash, since everyone needs gear and consumables to be efficient in dungeons and raids. However, Skinning, Herbalism, and Mining are by far easier in making huge amounts of gold in a fairly short period of time.
Also, we mentioned Eternal Life farming before as a Herbalist, however, there are actually a whole set of Eternals that could be farmed for selling since they are used in lots of recipes across different professions, therefore gathering it might prove extremely profitable.
- In Wintergrasp, a World PvP zone, you can farm Crystallized Life from Living Lashers, which can be transformed into Eternal Life and sold for a good price;
- Also in Wintergrasp, to the very West of the location, there are a lot of Wandering Shadow and Shadow Revenants, who drop Crystallized Shadow, which can be transformed into the Eternal Shadow. You can also try to farm Crystallized Shadow from Deathbringer Revenants in the Northeast of the Dragonblight, but it will be slightly less efficient;
- Crystallized Water, which can be transformed into the Eternal Water, can be farmed from Glacial Spirits and Water Revenants in Wintergrasp, Icebound Revenants in the Storm Peaks, and Aqueous Spirits in Sholazar Basin;
- Whispering Winds and Tempest Revenants in Dragonblight can be farmed for Crystallized Air, which is transformed into Eternal Air. There are also Scions of Storm in the Storm Peaks and Storm Revenants in Sholazar Basin who can drop the needed item;
- Back in Wintergrasp, Flame Revenants and Raging Flames are a great source of Crystallized Fire, which is to become Eternal Fire. It can also be looted from Seething Revenants and Wailing Winds in the Storm Peaks;
- Earthbound Revenants in Wintergrasp have a good chance to drop Crystallized Earth, from which you can make Eternal Earth. Brittle Revenants in the Storm Peaks and Sholazar Guardians in Sholazar Basin also have a great drop chance of the item.
Besides professions and farming, there are actually a couple more ways to earn money in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. However, they might be more time-consuming and your profits will be rather stretched out and might not feel that rewarding. For example, regular questing, especially at higher levels, will provide a decent amount of gold. Selling some junk items obtained naturally from farming or questing can also add a handful of coins into your pocket.
WoW Classic is a huge MMORPG with tons and tons of content, therefore a lot of ways to generate in-game wealth. We mentioned, in our opinion, the most common and efficient methods of WoW WotLK gold farming in the upcoming Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you find this guide helpful, or if you have something to add, please let us know with feedback. Have a good one, and see you on the battlegrounds of Azeroth and beyond.