Fishing is a great secondary profession option for any class because it’s a good opportunity to earn a lot of gold. Fishing will also benefit Cooking, because it is one of the main sources of material, and Fish Feast is the best food in raids. Therefore, Fishing ingredients are actively used by many players. All these advantages make Fishing a necessary secondary profession and pumping it to the maximum, although it will take a lot of time, will open up excellent opportunities for you.
WotLK Classic Fishing Bonuses and Benefits
In order to start learning the Fishing profession, you will need a simple Fishing Pole, thanks to which you can fish anywhere if you see water. With each level up, your catch will get better. But to achieve this, you will have to spend enough time.
Fishing will unlock the crafting materials for Wrath Classic buff foods like Dragonfin Filet and Spicy Fried Herring, as well as Gigantic Feast and Fish Feast (you can read more in our WotLK Classic Cooking guide). This profession also will bring a lot of gold from the sale of Pygmy Oil at the Auction House (you can collect it from Pygmy Suckerfish). This ingredient is often used by alchemists in their potions, which are often used in raids. This is another great way to gold making this profession.
A few more benefits of Fishing include catching Glacial Salmon, Musselback Sculpin, and Nettlefish for a Fish Feast. And if you are ready to devote even more time, then aquatic Sea Turtle mount and mini-pets like Giant Sewer Rat and Chuck will be available to you.
By participating in fishing competitions like the Lich King Classic Kalu’ak Fishing Derby and Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza, you can earn valuable prizes like the Dread Pirate Ring, Hook of the Master Angler, or powerful Fishing-specific gear.
Despite the fact that this profession requires painstaking work, it will not replace any other profession. Therefore, WotLK Fishing can be BiS choice for all classes, because it provides access to large profits, and is also closely related to Cooking you can read in our WotLK Cooking Guide, which opens up additional opportunities for leveling.
Sea Turtle Mount and Mini-Pets
When you fish in Northrend, you have an incredibly small opportunity to catch the Sea Turtle. As a BoP mount, it must be caught by you. But if you succeed, you will have access to a valuable catch that increases your swimming speed.
Also, in addition to Toothy, Muckbreath, Snarly, and Chuck, there are several other mini-pets available to you thanks to Fishing:
So, as you have already seen, Fishing is a rather time-consuming profession, but the result sometimes covers this shortcoming. Here is a list of achievements that will be available to you after you catch a certain amount of fish or complete other requirements:
- Fish Don’t Leave Footprints (learn Find Fish from Weather-Beaten Journal);
Mr. Pinchy’s Magical Crawdad Box (Get Mr. Pinchy from Magical Crawdad);
- Turtles All the Way Down (catch the Sea Turtle);
Fishing daily quests completed (complete all followed dailies);
- The Coin Master (get the Titanium Seal of Dalaran for collecting all the coins in the Dalaran fountain);
- One That Didn’t Get Away (catch any of the following fishes);
- Old Crafty / Old Ironjaw (to get Old Crafty in Orgrimmar or Old Ironjaw in Ironforge, you need to put in quite a lot of effort and test your patience, since the chance of them dropping is quite small. This is where an Elixir of Camouflage can come in handy to avoid being noticed);
- Accomplished Angler (thanks to this achievement, you will be able to get the title Salty. To get to the title, you will have to get The Fishing Diplomat, for this you will have to infiltrate the capital of the enemy and go fishing).
In order to be able to catch certain fish at high levels, tackle and upgrades will come in handy. They will also help you to increase the speed of completing daily tasks and give you an advantage in the fishing competition. There are several ways in WoW Classic to increase your fishing skill on a permanent or temporary basis: Fishing Poles, Gear, Lures, Enchants, and Consumables.
Fishing tackle that you will need when passing a certain level. Some of them will require you to complete certain quests in order to get them.
- Standard Fishing Pole (you can buy from any seller of Trade Supplies or Fishing Supplies);
- Strong Fishing Pole (you can buy from any Fishing Supplies dealer in any major city. Required 100 skill level);
- Big Iron Fishing Pole (+20 Fishing. You can find her in Shellfish Trap along the southwest coast of Desolace, beyond Shadowprey Village. Required 200 skill level);
- Seth’s Graphite Fishing Pole (+20 Fishing. You can get this for completing the quest Rather Be Fishin’. Required 225 skill level);
- Nat’s Lucky Fishing Pole (+25 Fishing. You can get this for completing the quest Nat Pagle, Angler Extreme. Required 300 skill level);
- Bone Fishing Pole and Jeweled Fishing Pole (+30 Fishing. Dropped from Dalaran Fishing Dailies from Bag of Fishing Treasures. The drop rate is 1%, good luck);
- Mastercraft Kalu’ak Fishing Pole (+30 Fishing, Underwater breathing. After reaching Exalted with the Kalu’ak can buy from Kalu’ak Quartermasters Sairuk at Moa’ki Harbor in Dragonblight and Tanaika at Kamagua in Howling Fjord);
- Arcanite Fishing Pole (+40 Fishing. You can get this as a reward for winning the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza).
Some items have level requirements.
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots (+5 Fishing. You will receive this as a reward for Rare Fish – Brownell’s Blue Striped Racer);
- Lucky Fishing Hat (+5 Fishing. You will receive this as a reward for Rare Fish – Keefer’s Angelfish);
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat (permanent +5 Fishing, and Fishing +75 for 10 minutes if activated. Dropped from Bag of Fishing Treasures (WotLK). The drop rate is 1%, good luck. Required 200 skill level);
- Boots of the Bay (+15 Fishing, Teleports you to Booty Bay. You can get this for winning the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby).
- High Test Eternium Fishing Line (+5 Fishing. Dropped from Bag of Fishing Treasures (WotLK) or receive this as a reward Rare Fish – Dezian Queenfish);
- Enchant Gloves – Fishing (+2 Fishing);
- Enchant Gloves – Angler (+5 Fishing).
There are some level requirements too.
- Shiny Bauble (+25 Fishing for 10 minutes. You can buy from any seller of Trade Supplies or Fishing Supplies. Level required 50);
- Nightcrawlers (+50 Fishing for 10 minutes. Dropped from Undead mobs. Level required 100);
- Bright Baubles (+75 Fishing for 10 minutes. You can buy from any seller of Trade Supplies or Fishing Supplies. Level required 100);
- Glow Worm (+25 Fishing for 1 hour. Dropped from Bag of Fishing Treasures (WotLK). The drop rate is 15%, good luck.
- Captain Rumsey’s Lager (+10 Fishing for 3 minutes. Dropped from Small Spice Bag, Bag of Fishing Treasures (TBC), Bag of Fishing Treasures);
- Underbelly Elixir (+50 Fishing for 10 minutes. You can find it in the Underbelly, but only use it in Dalaran).
WotLK Classic Fishing Trainers
In any major capital, you can find Fishing trainers who will teach you the profession of Fishing.
|Horde trainers||Alliance trainers|
Armand Cromwell, Undercity
Kah Mistrunner, Thunder Bluff
Clyde Kellen, Tirisfal Glades
Uthan Stillwater, Mulgore
Drathen, Silvermoon City.
|Grimnur Stonebrand, Ironforge
Arnold Leland, Stormwind City
Androl Oakhand, Teldrassil
Paxton Ganter, Dun Morogh
Lee Brown, Elwynn Forest
Erett, The Exodar
|Horde trainers||Alliance trainers||Neutral trainers|
Juno Dufrain, Zangarmarsh
|Juno Dufrain, Zangarmarsh||Old Man Barlo, Terokkar Forest|
|Horde trainers||Alliance trainers||Neutral trainers|
|Fishy Ser’ji, Borean Tundra
Angelina Soren, Howling Fjord
|Old Man Robert, Borean Tundra
Byron Welwick, Howling Fjord
|Marcia Chase, Dalaran|
WotLK Classic Fishing Leveling
You can fish in any fishing pond regardless of skill, but we will tell you where else in addition to leveling you can catch various valuable stuff.
|1 – 50||Unfortunately, at this stage, you won’t be able to catch anything valuable. But don’t despair and keep fishing in any suitable water until you reach the next rank. We recommend that you start in Orgrimmar or Stormwind City.|
|50 – 200||To reach 100 you need to buy 3x Nightcrawlers from the Fishing supply, go to the Barrens and fish in one of the 3 oases around Crossroads. After you reach 100, you can choose not to use Nightcrawlers.
The main goal on the current skill level is catching Deviate Fish which is located in Barrens because this is the most valuable fish on this level, but you will not be able to sell it in large quantities.
You can also cook it yourself if using the Recipe: Savory Deviate Delight, which is sold at the Auction House, and then sell the Savory Deviate Delight, or just sell it raw.
If you choose to eat Savory Deviate Delight, it will turn you into a Pirate or Ninja for 60 minutes.
|200 – 275||To get to 275 keep fishing in any of these zones:
|275 – 300||Now to get to 300, continue to fish in any of these zones:
Note: you need to start using Bright Baubles.
|300 – 375||Don’t forget to keep using Bright Baubles.
At this point, you need to visit Juno Dufrain in Zangarmarsh. Keep fishing until 350. After that, head to Terokkar Forest and keep fishing until 375.
|300 – 450||The last step in your leveling will be Wintergrasp, where almost every catch will be a highly prized fish. But keep in mind that slightly less than half of your catch at level 400 will be junk. To avoid this and not get any junk, you need fishing 525 with lures.|
Finally, let’s talk about another exciting part of the Wrath Classic Fishing routine called dailies. By completing daily tasks, you have a good chance to level up your skills and get a small reward if you do not have capped, and if you do, then you may come across something useful in the bag.
|Old Man Barlo and TBC Dailies||Marcia Chase and WotLK Dailies|
|You are offered 5 options for daily tasks by Old Man Barlo in Outland:
Completing these quests will give you a Bag of Fishing Treasures, namely the Sharpened Fish Hook, the mini-pets Toothy, Muckbreath, Snarly, and Chuck. The drop rate is 15%.
|Here you will also be offered 5 options for daily tasks by trainer Marcia Chase.
Completing these quests will give you a Bag of Fishing Treasures, almost all items have a 1% drop chance. For example:
You can take part in the weekly Fishing Competitions, which take place at a certain time: The Kalu’ak Fishing Derby and The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza. In this case, both factions can participate. As a reward for these challenges, you will receive the best Fishing gear players can acquire.
|The Kalu’ak Fishing Derby||Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza|
|All you need is to catch 1x Blacktip Shark and bring it to Elder Clearwater where the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby takes place. The shark can only be caught during the Derby. You can also catch Pygmy Suckerfish. The competition starts from 14:00 to 15:00 (server time) every Saturday.
When you bring it into Elder Clearwater, you will be able to choose Boots of the Bay or Dread Pirate Ring.
If you did catch the Shark but didn’t come first, you can complete Better Luck Next Time and get the Bag of Fishing Treasures, which will help you win next time.
|Every Sunday from 14:00 to 16:00 (server time), School of Tastyfish will appear throughout Stranglethorn Vale and the Master Angler quest will be available to the first person to bring 40x Speckled Tastyfish to Riggle Bassbait.
When you finish, you will be able to choose Arcanite Fishing Pole or Hook of the Master Angler.
Valuable Fish for Cooking
One of the most important purposes of Fishing is to prepare the catch for various buffs. The recipes will cost you 3-5x Dalaran Cooking Award, so we advise you to use the recipes that you plan to use for personal use. You can also sell fish to players who don’t have this material for a specific recipe. This will bring you quite a lot of gold. There is the list of fish and dishes:
- Bonescale Snapper (Snapper Extreme)
- Darkwater Clam, Giant Darkwater Clam (Dalaran Clam Chowder)
- Dragonfin Angelfish (Blackened Dragonfin, Dragonfin Filet)
- Fangtooth Herring (Spicy Fried Herring)
- Glacial Salmon (Firecracker Salmon)
- Imperial Manta Ray (Imperial Manta Steak)
- Moonglow Cuttlefish (Cuttlesteak)
- Musselback Sculpin (Poached Northern Sculpin)
- Nettlefish (Spicy Blue Nettlefish)
Using Fishing you will be able to participate in the preparation of feasts. At high levels, this will be especially useful in PvE or PvP, because you can feed enough people with feasts, which will give healing and unique buffs. See what kind of fish is used to make feasts:
- Fish Feast (Glacial Salmon, Musselback Sculpin, Nettlefish)
- Gigantic Feast (Deep Sea Monsterbelly, Rockfin Grouper)
- Small Feast (Glacial Salmon)
We hope, our WotLK Fishing guide was helpful for you and it will make your Fishing leveling easier. Don’t forget to rate this article and good luck in the vast Icecrown.