Fortnite has taken the gaming world by storm, and for good reason. Its unique blend of battle royale gameplay, vibrant graphics, and constant updates have kept players engaged and coming back for more. With its free-to-play model and cross-platform compatibility, Fortnite is accessible to a wide range of gamers. It moved to Unreal Engine 5 not so long ago, and that means almost every guide (especially about movement) is outdated. So, we want to help you with mastering this hard, but at the same time, easy game.
Fortnite basic mechanics
- The first feature of this game is building. You are able to build yourself a fortress if you have enough time and skills. Of course, there is a game mode without building, which we highly recommend to play, but fortnite is still about building and not exceptional shooting;
- Each player has 100 HP and 100 SP (shield points). They are separated, and you have special medicine consumables to restore health and armor shield. Health-restoring medicine are bandages and med kits, while shield restoring are shield potions (small and big);
- Running consumes energy (stamina). You can sustain energy via consumables like some fruits or orange juice;
- All weapons are scaled by rarity: gray-green-blue-purple-gold. The logic works: the rarer, the better. That’s why golden weapons are the best 100% of the time.
How to win your first game in Fortnite
Easily. Your first game will be versus bots 🙂
But that means you have a unique chance to learn and practice basic game mechanics, so there is a list of actions you should test during your PvE run:
- Learn to build: Building is a key mechanic in Fortnite. Practice building structures quickly and efficiently to gain an advantage over your opponents;
- Use sound to your advantage: Sound is an important aspect of Fortnite. Listen for footsteps, gunfire, and other sounds to locate enemy players and avoid danger;
- Stay calm under pressure: Fortnite can be a high-pressure game, especially during matches with players, but it’s important to stay calm and focused. Don’t panic when under fire and take your time to make strategic decisions;
- Try to loot only consumables you need: usually they are 2 big shield potions and 2 med kits;
- Practice shooting with as many weapons as you will be able to pick up: This is a priceless experience that will help you in the future for sure;
- Try to break as many objects as you can. It will provide you a sense of durability of nearby objects, and you won’t be instantly killed while healing behind the wooden door, for example.
Fortnite best drop spots
For beginners, the best drop spots are the ones that are as far away from the flight path as possible. It’s vital to improve your fighting skill, so improve it progressively instead of hot drops.
For experienced players, we recommend The Citadel and Brutal Bastion, as these two spots have high-tier loot, and the third is just one of the easiest spots to fight.
Fortnite best weapons for beginners
Since weapons switch every couple of seasons or even chapters, we can’t tell you universal guns that can fit you any time, but we can tell you which ones are the best for beginners, and which you can pick in case you see them in a match:
- SMGs are very powerful in melee fights. They even can outplay shotguns;
- DMRs are the best guns for middle or long range. Amount of DPS is amazing;
- Any shotgun is an ultimate melee weapon, but you’ll need to try them a lot before you’ll be able to outplay your opponents.
Fortnite tips and tricks for beginners
These advices are for novices, but they can be useful even if you’ve already spent 100-200 hours there:
- Always try to get the upper ground in a fight.To gain an advantage in a fight, aim to be in a higher position than your opponent. You can achieve this by either building ramps upwards – construct four walls around yourself in a square shape and then build a ramp leading up to the wall facing your enemy. This will give you a solid sniping spot that you can descend from when you need to reload. Or just jump repeatedly, which also makes you a more difficult target;
- Metal is the best material, so collect it a lot. Even more, you can destroy something metalled with explosions, for example;
- Do not directly fight with someone for too long. There is a very high probability of someone sneaking around, so you will be a very easy target;
- Sneak while shooting. It will reduce recoil and improve bullet accuracy;
- Don’t forget to heal in secure places. Your own builds fit that, but be careful and watch out for nearby opponents;
- Unlock all the map locations in a couple of matches, so your map will be fully visible for you, and when zone rotates somewhere, you’ll be able to make a path in your head;
- Defending person is always in a greater position (if they are on a high-ground), because you play in the third person perspective, hence, pushing a guy won’t see you while you’ll clearly see what they do. Always use it as an advantage;
- Be always in move, cause you are a dummy target in other cases. Just don’t stop and try to move mostly unpredictably. That works both with bots and players!
That’s all for beginners in Fortnite in 2023. All you need to do is to master all skills starting from building and ending with shooting. We hope our guide helped you!